Mustangs Old Oars Club would like to invite you to join us in celebrating 60 years of
rowing excellence at Western University!
teammates from across six decades at a number of events during the weekend of September 15-17, 2017 in London, Ontario. There will be events for all generations and their families, including the chance to cheer on the current Western Mustangs team at the Western Invitational Regatta, a formal alumni dinner, and the annual Old Oars Regatta and boat christening.
Weekend Schedule At-A-Glance
Friday September 15th, 2017
- An opportunity to play an afternoon round of golf at the Forest City National Golf Club.
- A Toast to Volker Nolte: A casual meet up to celebrate
Volker Nolte's retirement and contributions to rowing. A cash bar and light appetizers will be available. Joe Kool's, London 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, September 16th, 2017 -- The Alumni dinner is SOLD OUT
- Cheer on the current Western Mustangs rowing team as they compete in the Western Invitational Regatta at the Doug Wells Rowing Centre and Doc Fitz-James Boathouse at Fanshawe Lake. A refreshment tent will be available for alumni.
- Time trials will begin at 8:30 a.m. and run
until 10:00 a.m. Finals are scheduled to begin at 10:20 a.m., with a one-hour
lunch between 10:30 and 11:30. The last race is set to go for 3:10 p.m.
- Western Rowing 60th Anniversary Alumni Dinner at the Forest City National Golf Course, overlooking Fanshawe Lake. Cocktails at 5:30 p.m. and dinner at 6:30 p.m. SOLD OUT
is cocktail for dinner. Spandex optional for rowing!
- Buses will be leaving Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre at 4:45 p.m. to FCNGC. If you are staying at Ivey Spencer, please let Kim Cournoyer know if you are interested in taking the bus to FCNGC.
- Following dinner,
buses have been arranged to take those interested to the Barking Frog
(209 John Street.) Buses will leave FCNGC promptly at 9 p.m.
- Please note, should you wish to join us at the Barking Frog, you must arrive prior to 10 p.m.
Sunday, September 17th, 2017
- The annual Old Oars Regatta will be hosted at the Doug Wells Rowing Centre, Fanshawe Lake at 9:00 a.m. Feel the water move under you again as you race alongside generations of Western rowers.
- Immediately following the Old Oars Regatta, join us
for the christening of several new boats, including two women's eights, and a
catered brunch by a perennial favourite, James' Place, at the Doug Wells Rowing
- The Old Oars
schedule is as follows:
9:00 a.m: Alumni
meet at boathouse, crew assignments, and row
11:00 a.m.: Alumni
crews off the water
11:30 a.m.: Boat
12:00 p.m.: Buffet
Brunch, provided by James’ Place
1:00 p.m.: 60th Anniversary Weekend
Concludes - See you at the 2018 Gala!
A block of rooms for out-of-town alumni has been reserved at Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre for the nights of Friday, September 15 and Saturday, September 16.
Ivey Spencer is a historic London hotel, situated on 30 acres off Windermere Road and located approximately halfway between Lake Fanshawe and downtown London.
Please use “Rowing 60th” when reserving your room.*
*Guests of Ivey Spencer are responsible for their own reservations, including booking, room rates, and incidentals.