Mark your calendars for Thursday, November 9 and Friday, November 10, 2023 for the Local Government Conference, hosted by the Western University Local Government Program Alumni Society.
The event will feature an awards night and cocktail reception on Thursday evening, followed by an engaging day of panel discussions tackling the changing legislative landscape, leadership development, and council-staff relations. All conference activities, including the cocktail reception take place at the Stoneridge Inn & Conference Centre, which is conveniently located close to major highways.
Cocktail and Awards Reception
Thursday, November 9, 20237:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.
ConferenceFriday, November 10, 20239 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Welcome by Conference Co-Chair Francis Hinnah
- Opening ceremonies with attending dignitaries
- Presentation of Professor Andy Sancton’s Local Government Book List
- Presentation of the Award of Excellence
- Presentation of the Emerging Leader Award
- 8:00 - 9 a.m. — Continental breakfast
- 8:45 a.m. — Welcome by Conference Co-Chair Robert Tremblay, CAO, Town of Renfrew
- 9 - 9:30 a.m. — Keynote address: Rick O’Connor, former Ottawa City Clerk: Reflections on 35 years in public service
- 9:30 - 10:45 a.m. — Bill 5: Politicians Behaving Badly. Building Positive and Productive Council-Staff Relations
Moderator: Stephanie Mackenzie-Smith, Faculty, Western University Local Government Program & York University School of Public Policy, and Administration
MPP Stephen Blais (via video)
Suzanne Craig, Integrity Commissioner
Michelle Smibert, Deputy Mayor, Thames Centre
Dr. Peter Constantinou, President and CEO, Political Acuity Institute; Professor, York University School of Public Policy and Administration
Emily McIntosh, Lead Advocate, Women of Ontario Say No
- 10:45 - 11 a.m. — Break
- 11 - 11:45 a.m. — From Managing to Leading: Ready, Set, Go (interactive activity and discussion)
Facilitated by: Catalina Blumenberg, Clerk, Prince Edward Country
Erin Britnell, Municipal Leader
Bruce Curtis, Retired, Municipal Administrator
- 11:45 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. — Lunch
- 12:30 - 12:45 p.m. — Address by Dr. Joe Lyons, Program Director, Western University Local Government Program
- 12:45 - 2:15 p.m. — The Changing Legislative Framework for Municipalities: Autonomy, New Paradigm or Free for All?
Moderator: Dr. Zack Taylor, Associate Professor, Western University Local Government Program
David Arbuckle, Executive Director, Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario (AMCTO)
Sabine Matheson, Partner and General Counsel, StrategyCorp Inc.
Janice Baker, former CAO, Peel Region
Sandra Datars Bere, City Manager, St. Thomas
$150 - Friday Conference and Thursday evening reception
$125 - Friday Conference only
$75 - Student Rate for Friday Conference and Thursday evening reception
The hotel is pleased to offer a delegate group rate of $134.00 plus taxes, single occupancy without breakfast or $144.00 plus taxes, single occupancy with breakfast. Please note that breakfast is included in the conference program. Please book your hotel online by October 25 to be eligible for the group rate.
Please contact us if you have any particular accommodation requirements or require information in an alternate format.